Why Use 1 $ Wiser Consumer Education for Your Post-Filing Personal Financial Management Course (Debtor Education)?
1 $ Wiser’s (1$W) Debtor Education is a non-threatening interactive online program that has been carefully designed to teach you how to make the changes necessary to avoid the financial pitfalls that led to your need to file bankruptcy. Through the use of case studies from people just like yourself, you will learn how to differentiate between needs and wants; how to set and achieve goals; how to plan your spending based upon those goals; and how to use credit wisely.
1$W is committed to providing you with the education you need to objectively assess your situation and make an informed decision about how to best reach your financial goals.
Post-Filing Debtor Education
By law, you must complete a post-filing personal financial management course (Debtor Education) prior to the discharge of your Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy. This course must last at least 2 hours. As part of the instruction you will receive, you will be taught how to identify the best options in a variety of financial situations in which you might find yourself.
What Do You Need?
To begin the required post-filing debtor education, you will need to provide enough information to verify your identity, your case number, and the District and Office in which your case was filed. We recommend that you gather the following information before starting the course:
· Your case number
· The District and Office in which your case was filed
· A valid telephone number
· Your email address
· Last four digits of your social security number
· Driver’s License or State ID number
· Attorney name, address, phone number, email address, and fax if available
How much does it cost?
The cost of 1$W’s post-filing online Debtor Education is $39.99 per person. This includes the cost of filing the certificate with the court in your judicial district. Once you have begun the course, the fee is non-refundable.
How long will it take?
The United States Trustees and Bankruptcy Administrators require the post-filing Debtor Education to last 2 hours.
How does it work?
Online counseling via the Internet is ideal for individuals with internet access at home, a friend’s house, or the local public library. It uses a simple text and video interface so it is accessible even to older clients. The process is as follows:
1. Register for this course directly on this site
2. Log into the system using your unique user name and password to begin the course
3. Work your way through the course at your own pace. It does not have to be completed in a single sitting.
4. If you leave the program, log back in at any time and resume from where you left off.
5. Throughout the course, messages are automatically sent to the instructor who will provide online feedback to you and answer any questions you may have
6. At the end of the course you will take a post-test. You must answer at least 70% of the questions correctly in order to successfully complete the course. If you answer less than 70% of the questions correctly you may either return to the course material then retake the test or you may have one of our instructors contact you to discuss those questions you answered incorrectly.
7. The instructor issues a Certificate of Completion
8. You, and your attorney if you have one, receive the Certificate by email. 1 $ Wiser will file your certificate of completion with the court in your judicial district on your behalf.